baby development

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Good Weekend


This weekend was really fun. Some of it was planned and some of it was just spur of the moment. To start with, I got up at 5:30 Saturday morning so that I could be at my Mom's house by 6:30. She and I took my nephew Ty and his friend Cole to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup.



It's three hours to Sweetwater from where we live and we had to make a stop in Abilene to see some family. On our detour to Abilene, my Uncle and his family joined us for our rattlesnake adventure. The six of us had a really good time. We saw them milking venom from the snakes that would later be used to make antivenin. We also saw the snakes skinned. While we were watching the snakes be skinned it was really rather "ooky". They would remove the guts and the pull the skin off of the meat. The meat would lie on the table and still be wiggling. That was pretty freaky. One of the men working with the snakes saw me getting a little freaked about the still moving snake meat and reached down and picked up a snake heart and held it over the edge for me to see. It was in his hand and it was still beating. That was just wild.

We also saw the pit where they dump all the snakes as they are brought in. I am here to tell you, that sight is not for the faint of heart. It was definitely something straight out of a horror movie or a nightmare. Thousands and thousands of snakes, slithering all over each other, and so many of them rattling. Ooh, it was disgusting. They smelled bad too. This was not my first rattlesnake round up, I'd been to the same on in Sweetwater a few times as a child. Thousands of slithering snakes freak out my adult brain much more than they used to.


All in all, it was a very fun day. My aunt bought some fried rattlesnake for lunch. I tried some. Yes, I'm going to be cliche, it tasted pretty much like chicken but the texture was really wierd. And, since I'm one of those people who can not stand to have things with a wierd texture in my mouth, that was probably the last rattlesnake meat I'll ever eat.

We finished up our day at the Rattlesnake Round-Up by visiting the very large craft show. I was very surprised, Mom and I accomplished not to buy anything at the craft show. I think that was mostly because she spent most of her money buying rattlesnake souveneirs for the boys.

We left Sweetwater and went back to Abilene where we dropped off my uncle and his family. Then we went to visit with my grandparents. Another of my Aunts, my cousin and her two littleones came to see us while we were there. It was very good to get to see everyone and we had a very nice visit. My grandparents were nice enough to buy us pizza for dinner and then we headed home.

I got home about 9:00 Saturday night very tired but very satisfied having spent a wonderful day with my family.

Sunday morning I got up, made breakfast and proceeded to clean house. Yuck! I'm still not done with the laundry but I'm working on it. At about 4:00 in the afternoon afternoon hubby and I decided to get out of the house. We loaded up in the car, headed no place in particular, and went for a drive. Our drive ended us in Lipan where my sister and brother and their families live. We went and visited both families and though we weren't expected visitors, we had a really good time visiting with everyone. We got to see all of the family except my oldest niece Fe. We don't all get to see each other very often, so, it was definitely a good day.

Now Sunday is just about over, hubby and I had a nice dinner at home. The dogs are in and both are asleep. And I'm feeling the contentment of a weekend well spent. I hope everyone else had a great weekend too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home