baby development

Thursday, February 09, 2006

How not to end your day on a high note. (AKA I got pulled over.)

Wednesdays are the night this semester that I have to drive to Stephenville to Tarleton for my graduate school class. I'm taking group therapy this semester and I'm thinking I'm going to be next week's test subject after my day yesterday.

First of all, I have officialy reached the point of being completely burned out on going to school. (Yes, big sister, I know it's my own fault, I could have been done ages ago, thanks for the sisterly advice but remember this whole grad school thing was your idea and you went and changed majors on me.) So, when I woke up Wednesday morning the minute I got out of bed I was thinking, "Oh, I SO do not want to go to class tonight."

Then I have this lovely day at work where I send two kids to the office. That may not sound like a big deal, but, that doubled the number of students I'd sent to the office this year. I'm pretty big on taking care of stuff in my classroom if I can. So, it was not a great day at work. And of course it had to end with a faculty meeting that was supposed to end by 4:00pm, and ended up being over at 4:40pm. So, I'm thinking "Great, I'm really gonna have to hustle to get to class". Then I get into my jeep and notice that I'm almost out of gas. So, I have to drive to Mineral Wells to get gas, and decide to pick up some dinner while I'm in town. There is this little mexican fast food place in Mineral Wells that I just love so I decide I'll go there. I get a couple of bean burritos, which ofcourse, end up on my shirt before I make it to class. Nice.

I finally get to class and the professor isn't there. Ten minutes later (I so wish this had been undergrad because at that point in time we all would have gotten up and left.) she finally shows up only to discover that the classroom door is locked and she dosen't have a key. She goes to hunt down the campus parking nazis (otherwise known as the Tarleton Police) to unlock the door and ofcourse as soon as she walks out the door here comes a prof that has a key. We all go in and sit down. When she gets back we are now 2o minutes late starting class.

We finally get settled and she says that we're going to go over the ethics questions from last week and a couple of things in the chapter and we should get out early. Well after all this time, I can tell when a prof is starting to wind down a class. It's 8:40 and she's still going strong. We aren't yet through with the ethics scenarios and haven't even cracked the book. Yea. At straight up 9:00 she says "Well I'd better let y'all go. I guess I lost track of time since we got started so late." Of course with my wonderful attittude I'm thinking "Well WE could have started on time if YOU had been prepared." But, at 9:00pm that's neither here nor there.

I finally got in the car and headed home and I'm realizing that my day/evening probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I hadn't decided it was going to suck. So, my mood is improving as I'm driving down this dark country road with very few other cars on the road. About this time I see this shooting star that I get to watch streak across the sky for probably 10 seconds before it dissapears. I'm thinking about how incredible that is and how exicted I am that my future children are going get to grow up in a place where they can see shooting stars. I grew up in a small city and didn't see my first shooting star until I was 27. So, for the first time all day, I'm feeling pretty good about life. When IT happens. The lights come on and he flips around behind me. All I can think is "SHIT!"

So I pull over and find my liscense and insurance. He comes up to my window and says that he clocked me going a little fast, that my speed would be handled with a warning (THANK GOD!) and he'd be right back. He comes back and I ask him how fast I was going and the little smart butt replies "Fast enough for me to pull you over." Oh, that just flew all over me. I asked again "I'd like to know how fast I was going because I had my speedometer set on 67 and if I need to make adjustments I'd like to know." He says "You were going 71 but you know there are hills out here and your car will gain speed going down a hill." At this point, thank goodness, reason took over in my brain, and I just said "Thank you sir." He told me to have a safe trip home and we parted ways.

And, of course, it is inevitable that with in 5 miles of where he pulled me over no less than three people go flying past me, one in a no passing zone, easily exceeding the speed limit by 15 or 20 mph. I just had to laugh. I have never been so happy to walk in my front door! Wednesday was finally over and I'd made up my mind that no matter what Thursday would be better. And guess what, it has been !

What a day!!

2 Comments:

Blogger snarflemarfle said...

Good gravy, woman!

Love you honey!

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL it never fails that when you are having a bad day the cops seem to know it and just add to it! I am sorry your day was crummy but glad that Thursday was much better!

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home