baby development

Sunday, January 01, 2006

I'm a Deer Hunter!


Over my holiday break from work (gee being a school teacher is great), I begrudgingly joined my hubby on a trip to the deer lease with my dad, my brother, and various and assorted other men. I told my hubby that I would go out to the blind with him but I doubted I would shoot anything. On the first hunt on Wednesday evening we didn't see any deer but got to sit in the blind and watch a covey of quails feed on the corn from the feeder. No hunting but lots of fun all the same. The next morning by some miracle I was up, out of bed, eaten breakfast, bundled up in lots of warm clothes and ready to go to the blind around 6:30 am. We decided to hunt a different blind that morning. Eight deer had already been killed from that blind this season. So we went, we hiked a huge mountain (really just a small hill but at 6:30 in the morning in the freezing cold it could have been Mt. Everest for all I knew) and settled shivering into the blind. We watched and whispered for about an hour when my husband says "There's one. Look at the feeder." I look over and see a deer eating corn around the feeder. My husband is looking at the deer through binoculars and says "It's a buck." I suddenly lost all of my apprehension about killing a deer. He handed me the rifle and the binoculars. I found him in the binoculars and watched and waited until I could get a good shot. Finally after watching him for about 5 minutes he turned just the right way and I looked through the scope and squeezed the trigger. He jumped and ran. I looked at my hubby and said "I missed." He said "No, I think you hit him." We waited about an hour and then went down to trail him. We followed a blood trail right to where he laid dead. It was a perfect shot penetrating both lungs and the heart. He died almost instantly. It was very exhilerating and lots and lots of fun. He turned out to be a 5 point and field dressed at 84 pounds. I'm thinking I'll be doing some more deer hunting in the future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home